Talent Coaches learn from each other at quarterly forum

Chris Hulse from Job Centre Plus presents to the group

On Wednesday 19th April, Greater Manchester Talent Match Talent Coaches attended their main forum, held at the St Thomas Conference Centre in Ardwick.

The event was split into three parts, an information session for Talent Coaches from Job Centre Plus, our quarterly Now Hiring: session and an afternoon session where Talent Coaches shared their knowledge on a number of areas.


During the morning, Talent Coaches were joined by representatives from Job Centre Plus, who came along to speak about the relationships between Job Centres Plus and Talent Match, changes to local job centres and updates on their work.

Talent Coach feedback was hugely positive about the session, with all Talent Coaches rating it as useful and relevant to their role as a Talent Coach. One Talent Coach commented, “I found this really useful and relevant as always. It's really important in my work to be updated around benefits.”


Now Hiring: creative & new media was the topic of the morning session, helping to equip Talent Coaches with the knowledge to challenge young people's perceptions of the local creative & new media labour market and help them make effective career choices.

After a presentation and a quiz on the sector, Talent Coaches were joined by David Longworth from the BBC who presented about the opportunities available at the BBC. He was then joined by Peter Morris-Hind and his Talent Coach, Amy Stott from United Response, who both spoke about Peter’s traineeship at the BBC and his success in working in the creative & new media sector.

Next up was Erica Nixon from the Factory Youth Zone who spoke about their Access: Digital Media course, which aims to help young people prepare for work in the creative and digital sector.

Following Erica, Jon Green from Unity Radio gave the final presentation of the morning, who provided information about the Big Lottery-funded Capital Xtra Music potential opportunity launching in Manchester, inspiring young people aged 18-25 to improve their skills, develop talent and enhance employability through the hook of music.

You can download the presentations here:

Download the Now Hiring: Digital & Creative Industries presentation (2.25MB)
Download the Factory Youth Zone presentation (1MB)
Download the Unity Radio handout (340KB)

93% of Talent Coaches rated the session as good or excellent with 100% rating the session as useful. All attendees said they would use the information gained from the session in their role as a Talent Coach.

100% of attendees said they would recommend attending a Now Hiring session.


The afternoon session provided Talent Coaches the chance to learn from each other on a number of areas. Talent Coaches were invited to present on an area of expertise in order to share learning with others.

The workshops held were as follows:

  • Supporting young parents - Connexions Trafford and Gingerbread
  • Supporting young people with learning disabilities - Pure Innovations and MENCAP
  • Supporting young people with housing issues - Stockport Homes
  • Supporting young migrants/refugees - Wai Yin Society and BSCA
  • Delivering the Prevent Agenda within a safeguarding context - Bolton Lads and Girls Club

Overall, Talent Coaches reported an increase in knowledge following the workshops, with all responding that they found it useful to hear expertise from (and share expertise with) other Talent Coaches. Talent Coaches can download copies of these presentations on the Talent Coach Forum.

75% of Talent Coaches said they would use the information delivered in their role as a Talent Coach with the remaining 25% being unsure.

Looking to future planning for Forums, 69% of Talent Coaches said they would you find it useful to have more opportunities to share expertise with other and 67% said that they felt the format of the Forum was better than previous Forums.

Suggestions for improvements included more time to spend in each workshop and more employer involvement.

All feedback from Talent Coaches will be used to inform planning of future Forums.


“Excellent Talent Coach networking event. Thank You.”

“There was a lot of information in the young parents session I could use and also interesting discussion in others workshop.”

“Very useful to meet other Talent Coaches and ask few questions about our experience on working with young people.”

“[It was useful to hear from other Talent Coaches because] they understand where we are coming from.”

“Supporting refugees was well presented. The Facilitators were well-informed and the content was interesting and relevant to myself and one of my young people.”


Talent Coaches are named workers who offer one-to-one, long-term support throughout a young person’s journey to employment. For more information about Talent Coaches, visit our Get Support page.