Forest School Volunteers with Incredible Education, Salford
What will volunteers do?:
- Volunteers will assist the Forest School leader in the provision of sessions to a group of 12 children from a Salford primary school, using local woodland as the classroom
- Sessions are delivered in all weather except for high winds
- You would be asked to help out with a minimum of one session per week, taking up about four hours of your time on a weekday morning or afternoon
- Forest school uses the outdoors as an arena for child led exploratory learning, fostering self-confidence and self-sufficiency, while introducing elements of 'safe risk' through activities like tree climbing or pond dipping
- These 'safe risk' activities help to shape a child's approach to new situations and challenges, and provide them with the coping strategies necessary for a healthy approach to stress and anxiety, as well as introducing them to the capacity of the outdoor environment as a means of self soothing and self care
- Volunteers will attend sessions, and engage in tasks alongside the children ensuring that they are remaining safe, without compromising their learning experience.
Skills and qualifications that may be needed or developed:
- You will need to enjoy working with a variety of people, especially young children, and have an interest in fostering the intellectual curiosity, and mental and physical health of children
- You MUST have a good understanding of Forest School, its ethos, and it's aims and techniques, and be able to demonstrate this in your informal interview. Also important is an understanding of the importance of risk in learning and development
- Team work is an essential aspect of the role. Practical skills are important as is willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- An Induction Checklist will be completed with you and training in aspects of the work will be provided.
Please contact Sam for more information and email your CV to apply. Please find full details attached.
Worsley Woods (Sefton Drive Entrance)