Mental Health Drop In Volunteer @ The Anthony Seddon Centre, Ashton-Under-Lyne
We are looking for passionate members of the community to join our team of mental health Drop In Volunteers. Our Drop In service runs Monday to Saturday, providing a safe, comfortable environment for all members of the public to call and seek support for any mental health issue that may be affecting themselves, a friend or family member.
Hours – A commitment to at least one, 4 hour shift during core hours, Monday-Saturday 9.30am-4.30pm, as agreed with Volunteer Manager. More shifts are available upon request.
Responsible To – Volunteer Manager.
Location – The Anthony Seddon Centre, 12 George Street, Ashton, OL6 6AQ.
- To meet members of the public with varying issues / questions regarding mental health and mental health services, in a friendly, receptive and non-judgmental way.
- Provide a listening ear, information and signposting to other services / organisations (where appropriate) to assist members in finding resources / help they require.
- Promote a safe environment for all members, keeping the centre neat and tidy, making sure all resources are kept up-to-date and completing and storing safely all appropriate records as required by the charity.
- Actively promote equal opportunities and challenge discrimination in all forms.
- Adherence to all policies and procedures put in place by The Anthony Seddon Fund
You don’t need to have previous experience of working with people with mental health issues, but lived experience of mental health issues and knowledge of related issues, problems and experiences is preferred, either personal, professional or as a carer.
- Good listening skills with the ability to relate sensitively to people in distress.
- Ability and confidence to communicate effectively, potentially with members presenting in distress.
- To be approachable and friendly to members of the public with mental health issues and have the ability to engage and create relationships.
- Ability to work within personal and professional boundaries.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- To be non-judgmental and non-discriminatory, and to be aware of the importance of equal opportunities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to challenge any breaches of confidentiality by others.
- Commitment to providing volunteer hours as agreed with Volunteer Manager.
- Commitment to attending all training as requested deemed suitable to this role (e.g. half day suicide awareness training, safeguarding courses etc.).
If you are interested in volunteering as a Mental Health Drop In Volunteer, see our "How To Apply" section to find out more.
12 George Street